27 July 2010

The Definition of Government

Let's spend a few moments with Noah Webster. In his 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language, Webster begins his definition of government with the following:

GOV'ERNMENT, n. Direction; regulation. "These precepts will serve for the government of our conduct."

1. Control; restraint. "Men are apt to neglect the government of their temper and passions."
As many astute writers have observed, we all too often associate the word "government" with our national government--specifically our government in Washington, D.C.

Webster starts much closer to home. He starts with you. He starts with me. I must regulate my conduct; I must restrain myself; I must govern myself. And if I can't govern myself, how in the world can I effectively govern others?

2 comments:

  1. I like that definition. It indicates responsibility!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why aren't we using this dictionary in schools?

    ReplyDelete